Wednesday, June 08, 2005

In Case You Forgot

Many people didn't understand the rage I voiced when New York Yankee's number 11 came up to the plate, heck just the idea that he was in Milwaukee drove me up the wall last night. For those who don't remember, or those who forgot entirely, or for even those who just didn't know.

"The Brewers brought out the hate in me. I was a crazy man. . . . I hated everything about the place. If the official scorer gave me an error, I didn't think was an error, I'd say, 'Ok, here's a real error,' and I'd throw the next ball into the stands on purpose."

Many would say that this quote was taken out of context, that there is no record of Mr. Sheffield ever throwing a major league ball into a major league stand, that he would "never do anything to hurt the team". None the less, Gary Sheffield has a history of speaking his opinion to the media on the negative feelings he has for a team and city just to get what he wants. Though I believe that ballplayers are neither role models or shouldn't be held to a higher standard, I just don't agree with anyone that would either do these things or threaten to do these things just to get what they want. There is not a 'happy average' or 'content with my surroundings percentage' next to his batting average on the back of his card. Him being happy with the team or where he will play next should bare nothing on his actions on the field at that moment.

He was a good ballplayer, and I will remember how I thought he was an awesome player for the Brewers. But I will also remember what he said in that interview and that will go with the memory as well.