Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Say it ain't so Kurtz, say it ain't so

Scott Kurtz is officially out of the Daily Grind Iron Man Challenge! Whats this you ask? Is this like a Lance Armstrong kind of thing? The Daily Grind Iron Man Challenge is an Online comic artist competition. 20 dollars to sign up gets you in, you have to post every day a new comic everyday (except on Sunday you rest) Last man standing takes the pot. "100 men enter, 1 man leave" It truly is the Thunderdome of online comics.

I've followed this since its conception. Scott Kurts (writer of PVP Online) was a shoe in. He has posted daily since PVPs conception with only missing like two days. Thats almost 7 years of posting. He was practically the sure bet for winning and I followed it closely.

Now he has practically given up by having a guest artist on PVP while he goes to the San Diego Con and gets some time away (granted he might get to meet Jon Herder, that would be mad awesome!). At first I felt a sense of denial that he would just kind of give up like that, then the cold hard facts set in.

This, to me, is a few levels of importance below when the Packers loose the playoffs, but a few levels higher then when I find out I don't have anything in the fridge to eat. It hurts, but I will go on.

His guest artist is quite talented and well known, and I have already found a new online comic to follow through the competition. I won't give up on Mr. Kurtz and find him extremely talented and hilarious. And the more I think about it, I realise that this competition doesn't value the things I value most about competitions. This competition is not based on artistic ability, creativity or merit. But is based on who can upload a set of drawings every day. Granted its cool that anyone with a website and a computer can enter no matter the size or power of the entity behind you, but at the same time, a monkey could compete if you shocked him at the right times throughout the day.

Just a rant with a thought. Monkeys + Daily Grind Iron Man Challenge = Matt's loaded.

The fight goes on.