Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Intimidator!

Monday night, in the midst of our drunken pool playing, we talked about stepping up our skillz (with a Z) to twice a week. In the morning I went to the McDermott website to check on prices to modify my cue.

I truly believe McDermott cues are some of the finest pool cues made. I also believe this because they are made right here in Wisconsin since 1975. I was given a McDermott cue for Christmas a couple years back and hold it high as not only one of the finest gifts I’ve received, but one of my prized properties. Though it was a gift and I treasure it, I wanted to add some weight to it seeing that I prefer a heavier cue. While perusing the site I found one of McDermott’s Press Releases from earlier this year, it announced the Intimidator. One of the most expensive pool cues ever made.


Going a mere 150,000 dollars, the Intimidator is a hand crafted pool cue formed from an 82 pound stainless steel, dawned with Obsidian gemstones and 25K gold. Did I mention it has blades like a Celtic war axe? Yeah.

The thing that amazes me even more besides the outrageous look and price, it’s the weight. Remember how I said I preferred a heavier cue, and was looking to modify mine to have more weight? 20 oz is considered pretty heavy for a cue, and I like about 25 oz. The Intimidator weighs 9.25 pounds.

Many people would agree that this cue is more for decoration as a status symbol then a workable cue.
But quite honestly, can you even play with a cue that has a battle axe in the butt and almost 10 pounds of steal. You should be able to play at least one decent game with the worlds most expensive cue. Next time I go to the McDermott store I'll ask to take the Intimidator for a spin.