Monday, May 02, 2005

We Are Not All Dilberts

On the right of this blog I posted a few of my favorite websites (except for that Neville kid's site). These websites are “web comics” and I feel by posting them on the side I can help these juggernauts of the underground internet comic scene get maybe one more viewer. It’s all I can do for the enjoyment they have given me. I go to these sites regularly and reference them daily. They are the green sheets of my 20 something years. I don’t only read and enjoy them, but relate to them on many levels. I advise everyone to search for their own online comic that speaks to them, they’ll find it if they look.

These sites all started with one or two people just drawing and writing. Not really a job that guidance councilors would recommend as stable income. However, 5 to 10 years of doing this consistently they have formed a fan base. Not only do fans read and appreciate their work, but companies are seeing their work. Penny Arcade started making a website that had comics and criticized the gaming industry. Now they publish comics for video game strategy guides, go to Microsoft to test games before they are released, host a yearly convention that draws thousands of fans and raise thousands of dollars for a kids charity they started.

Today I was thinking about an online cartoon I use to frequent often, Xombie. I don’t know what got me to remember this site I haven’t visited in almost a year, but I did. I searched for it again and went to it hoping that perhaps a new chapter would be posted. James Farr (creator and artist) made a 3 minute chapter every 6 months. Every 3 months he would post a letter thanking his fans for keeping him going and keeping their patience. I find out that the creator and solo artist of this online comic is now in pre-production for a feature film of Xombie.

Stuff like this is not only amazingly awesome, but an inspiration. The one common thing of all these sites is that they were guys who wanted to get their art work out because they had no other way or no one would pay to see their art. It didn’t happen instantly and it sure wasn’t praised at first or all the time. They worked for it, and it took years and self dedication. I tap my hats to all web comic and web animators out there. Many of you have full time jobs and families and like to spend a couple hours every night before bed or forgo their lunch hours just to get their art out there. I just wanted you to all know, that we are reading, enjoying and looking for the next piece of work.